UNDP / İTO / GYİAD Bölgesel GSB Toplantısı24.Oca.2007
Opening remarks by
Resident Representative of UNDP
Location: Istanbul Chamber of Commerce Resadiye Caddesi, Eminonu
Dear Mr. Murat Yalcintas, the President of Istanbul Chamber of Commerce,
Ms. Pinar Eczacibasi, the President of Young Executies and Businessmen’s Association,
Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen:
· Allow me to begin by expressing my pleasure on behalf of the United Nations Development Programme to organize such an event in partnership with the Young Investors and Entrepreneurs Association and the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce.
· This is one of the unique opportunities for the business world and international institutions to get together, explore trade opportunities and brainstorm on the recently launched initiative of the Growing Sustainable Business, which we, as the United Nations Development Programme, have been actively developing in the Southeastern Europe as well as in Turkey.
· The strategic aim of the Growing Sustainable Business initiative is to facilitate business-led enterprise solutions to poverty reduction and the achievement of the UN Millennium Development Goals. These goals help promote poverty reduction, education, maternal health, environmental sustainability, gender equality, and aim at combating child mortality, AIDS and other diseases.
· In this context, the Growing Sustainable Business is set up to broker partnerships, which enable a company to engage with the host Government, civil society, the donor community, and investment partners. Such partnerships mitigate investment risks by resolving obstacles and facilitating access to supplementary finance, new markets, and information.
· Looking beyond social investments and philanthropy, the Growing Sustainable Business mechanism is a service offered to companies that seek to develop commercially viable business projects within their core business or value chain with a view to increasing profitability and/or engaging in new markets.
· Concerning the Southeast European and Caucasus region, the Growing Sustainable Business initiative’s goal is to broker partnerships that enable the private sector to engage in specific pro-poor investment projects that are both, commercially attractive and address the local development needs.
· On this note, please allow me to welcome our Growing Sustainable Business brokers from Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Moldova, Albania, Georgia and Ukraine, who are all here to initiate successful business partnerships with Turkish businessmen.
· Let me conclude by saying that UNDP is well positioned to perform this role because of its convening power, its development track record in the participating countries, its impartiality, reputation, brand, political reach and its access to regional and global development networks.
· Finally, I invite you all to have bilateral meetings with our Growing Sustainable Business Brokers this afternoon, to explore regional sustainable trade & investment opportunities.
· I wish you all a successful conference. Thank you.