The immediate objective of the project is to assist the Government of Turkey in the preparation and submission of its 7th National Communication and 3rd Biennial Report to the UNFCCC for the fulfilment of its obligations under the Convention as Annex I Party.
How are we doing this?
The objective of the project is expected to be achieved via following outcomes:
· National Greenhouse Gas (GHG) inventory system is strengthened and national GHG inventory is updated for years 1990 to 2015/2016 in line with National Communication and Biennial Report requirements;
· National circumstances are reviewed and updated, institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the national communications and biennial reports on a continuous basis are activated and described;
· Finance, technology transfer and capacity building needs, constraint and gaps are identified and recommendations for addressing the needs are provided;
· Information on research and systematic observation is reviewed and updated;
· Information relevant to the Article 6 activities on education, training and public awareness is reflected;
· Using best practices and latest available data, assessment of sectors and interventions contributing to GHG emission reduction (mitigation) at national level is conducted and described;
· Climate change vulnerability assessment, including recommended adaptation measures for priority sectors is reviewed and updated;
· Support is provided for strengthening domestic measurement, reporting and verification system;
· A web data base including climate change studies carried out by national universities is developed;
· 7th National Communication and 3rd Biennial Report are compiled, approved by the Government and submitted to the UNFCCC in line with UNFCCC reporting guidelines;
· Appropriate Monitoring and Evaluation Framework is in place for quality assurance.
How will Turkey Benefit?
The preparation of the 7th National Communication and 3rd Biennial Report will further strengthen national capacities for technical reporting in line with National Communication and Biennial Report guidelines; “Climate Change Database”, where all climate change related resources and initiatives will be available, will be developed. The preparation of the 7th National Communication and 3rd Biennial Report will increase capacities of state institutions in several topics such as improving MRV system, improving the quality of national data providers, create platform to increase cooperation between state and non-state actors, make research on several topics which provide support Turkey in delivering the National Reports and improving national climate change policies.
What has been achieved until today?
· Opening ceremony and inception workshop were organized.
· Consultation meetings with all relevant stakeholders were completed.
· Review Reports for Turkey’s 1&2nd Biennial Report and 6th National Communication were revised.
· Detailed work plan was developed.
· Turkey’s 3rd Biennial Report was been prepared and submitted to UNFCCC: The report is available here.