UN staff volunteers to work with children in Ankara
staff members will join UN Resident Coordinator Mr Shahid Najam this
Friday 18th of November by volunteering personally for a
non-governmental organisation TEGV (Türkiye Eğitim Gönüllüleri Vakfı or
Turkey Education Volunteers Foundation), which is engaged in supporting
primary educational for children nationwide and promotion of
Ankara – UN Resident Coordinator Mr Najam and other UN officers from UNDP, FAO and UNV will volunteer in daily activities of TEGV Ankara Semahat-Dr. Nüsret Education Park leading workshops for children together with more experienced volunteers.
The UN and TEGV volunteers will teach children in arts, reading, mathematics, positive attitude and sports.
During the day, volunteering as a corporate social responsibility activity will also be introduced – something in which increasingly many Turkish companies already engage.
The objective for this first of its kind event is to celebrate volunteerism in Turkey and the contribution it makes to the society. The event will also provide UN staff an opportunity to contribute personally to children’s lives.
This event is organised jointly by UN Volunteers and TEGV to celebrate International Year of Volunteering +10.
IYV+10 is a global campaign, initiated by the UN, to enhance the recognition, facilitation, networking and promotion of volunteering. The campaign calls everyone – UN agencies, governments, volunteer organisation, civil society, private sector – to celebrate volunteerism as an expression of our common humanity. They are encouraged to recognise the role of volunteerism in building solidarity and respects, in helping both individuals and society at large, achieving Millennium Development Goals and in contributing towards human development.
• UN RC Shahid Najam: on volunteerism and the contributions it makes to the development of society (present on 18th of Nov in the Education Park, 12:00 – 14:00, leading a workshop 13-13:30).
• TEGV General Manager Nurdan Sahin: on the contribution volunteering makes in providing educational opportunities to all in Turkey (present on 18th of Nov in the Education Park)
Venue and Time
• 18 November 2011 Friday, 12:00-14:00
• Türkiye Eğitim Gönüllüleri Vakfı (TEGV) – Educational Volunteer Foundation Education Park, İstasyon Mah. Özer Cd. Etimesgut/ Ankara
• Various visuals and brochures http://ff.im/O0zVG