Regional Forum on “Equal participation in decision-making”
UNDP has organized a Regional Forum on Equal Opportunities in Decision Making in Istanbul. The speakers included women political leaders and experts on gender equality in governance issues from the region. In Istanbul, UNDP also launched a new publication regarding empowering women in politics.
Ankara - UNDP has organized a Regional Forum on Equal Opportunities in Decision Making (15-17 November 2011, Istanbul) with co-funding from the UNDP-Japan Women in Development Fund.
This forum was part of a Regional Project on “Enhancing Women’s Meaningful Participation in Politics, and builds upon synergies with the Europe and CIS Component of the Global Programme on Electoral Cycle Support (GPECS), global projects on gender equality in public administration (GEPA) and gender equality in political parties.
The forum explored opportunities to strengthen the capacities of institutions—parliament, political parties, electoral management bodies, public administration, and civil society – in eliminating challenges and capitalizing on opportunities to achieve equal participation of women and men in decision-making.
The forum also identified how collaborative action of these institutions can lead to greater women’s involvement in decision-making.
A new publication
In Istanbul, UNDP also launched a new Publication – “Empowering Women Stronger Political Parties: A good Practices Guide to Promote Women’s Political Participation”
This publication was a compilation knowledge and insight coming from the experiences of working with political parties.
- Improving women’s equal participation in decision-making is a key development challenge of the 21 century.
- 17 countries out of 29 from the Europe and CIS region fail to reach the global average of 19 percent of women in Parliament
- Evolution since 2006 shows that political participation of women has been unsteady.
- Over the past six years in 11 countries in the region women’s political participation has decreased.
* Under the UN Security Council Resolution 1244
ABOUT THE FORUM: For more information and reference materials about the forum, please visit : www.europeandcis.undp.org/gender